Orogs are descended from the Skullbiter Tribe of Mountain orcs who lived in the Spine of the World mountain range millenia ago. When they, along with other Mountain orcs, invaded Netheril in -3605 DR, they were cut off from their retreat route and cornered between the elven and Netherese armies. They sought refuge in a narrow cave at the end of a valley which, unbeknownst to them, led to the Underdark. They became lost but felt safe in the knowledge that they would not be followed by their enemies, delving further underground whenever they could. Eventually they came across a veritable jungle of luminous fungi and decided to settle there. They bred in great numbers and expanded into many surrounding caverns like a virulent plague. They subjugated the creatures already living there and eventually split into a dozen different tribes, discovering rich veins of metal and ore.
The collapse of the elven empires led to the orogs venturing back to the surface in large numbers, bullying their Mountain orc cousins into subservience and arming them for war with weapons made from Underdark metals.
- Ability Adjustments: +6 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
- Light Blindness: Orogs suffer a -2 circumstance penalty to attack rolls, saves and checks in bright sunlight. (Gameplay note: This is broken much like every other light related penalty, applying even during the night when out of doors. However, the penalties only appear on the Character Sheet and do not affect your actual stats.)
- Darkvision: Orogs have Darkvision up to 120 feet.
- Orc Weapon Proficiency: Orogs are proficient with Greataxes and Longbows, like their Mountain Orc cousins.
- Natural Armor: The tough hide of the orogs give them a natural armor of +2.
- Skilled Blacksmith: +3 racial skill bonus on Craft (Weapon) and Craft (Armor).
- Resistance: Orogs gain fire resistance 5/- and cold resistance 5/-.
- Favored Class: Fighter. Orogs are no savages like their lesser cousins. To survive in the Underdark, they adapted a military lifestyle and thus are born fighters.
- Level Adjustment: +2.